If your business deals with multiple clients at the same time, it may be a good idea to purchase client management software. You may be tempted to use software you already have, a personal database software, such as Microsoft Access in order to keep track of your clients. That could be one of the worst decisions for your business.
Personal database software is just that, it is meant to keep your personal life straight-which many people need, but this is just not right for a business. I’ll tell you why:
1. It is not scalable. With client management software, your software will be able to grow with your business. You do not have to use fancy features at first, but as your business grows, you will have access to very helpful tools.
2. It does not allow for multiple users and multiple locations. Depending on your business, you may need to have several different people access this software at different times from different places.
3. You cannot use it in a networked environment. As mentioned above, you may need to add data from an off-site location, you cannot do this with personal management software.
4. Hard to find specific data. Access and many other database software make it quite difficult to make a query and get the results you want. With client management software, you can get specific information in an easy to digest format.
5. Lack of security. With client management software you have the option of having it located on your own server or a web server. You can also get the software to do automatic back-ups for you. How important is your data?